Aubergine, apples, oysters, cabbage, grey mullet, kale, beetroot…and mussels are in season. They feature in our really popular Mussels Chermoula. Chermoula is a special North African sauce and marinade for fish and the foundation of a number of Moroccan fish dishes. It can also be used as a stuffing or sauce.
Chermoula is one of these great sauces that require you to do nothing more than put all the ingredients in a mini-food processor (or pestle and mortar). It will taste even better if you make it an hour or so in advance to let the flavors develop.
Everyone tweaks and changes the recipe a little (as we do at Ayoush) but here’s a classic recipe.
Vegetarian, Vegan, and Gluten-Free
Yields about 3/4 cup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: none!
- 1 bunch of cilantro, leaves and tender stems only, well washed
- 1 handful flat-leaf (Italian) parsley leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin power
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- big pinch of saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon or 1/2 of a preserved lemon, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
Categorised in: Food